The Department of Molecular Biosciences recognizes the importance of investing in the careers of future biomedical scientists. We welcome graduate students into our vibrant scientific community, where you will have the opportunity to become outstanding researchers and prepare for exciting futures in science.
All students seeking a PhD degree must submit a formal application to the Graduate Program in Molecular Biosciences via the link below. Applicants from US institutions must have a GPA above 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale). All non-native English-speaking applicants should be proficient in the English language (see detail below).
Complete applications received by December 1st are reviewed by a committee of Molecular Biosciences faculty. Admission into our program is competitive, and we receive a large number of applications each year. Our holistic evaluations are based on several criteria, including grades, previous research experience, strength of recommendation letters, and the fit of your career goals with our educational program. Students will be informed of admission decisions in late February. Admissions decisions are finalized by April 15, and newly admitted students matriculate in August.
A complete application file will include everything below, uploaded to the online application. You do NOT need to contact prospective mentors ahead of applying.
2. A copy of an official transcript (plus translation if necessary). For review purposes, an unofficial transcript can be uploaded to the online application.
- Electronic transcripts should be addressed to email@example.com
- Hard-copy transcripts should be addressed to: KU Visitor Center, 1502 Iowa Street, Lawrence, KS 66045
3. Curriculum Vitae or Resumé (1-2 pages)
4. Three letters of recommendation from qualified individuals
5. A Statement of Research Interests and Goals (1-2 pages). A strong statement will include:
- A description of previous research experiences, discussing how these have prepared you for graduate school both professionally and personally
- A discussion of your broad research interests
- A description of your future career goals, discussing how a PhD from our department will help further these goals
6. Application Fee ($65 domestic; $85 international) - We have a very limited number of fee waivers if this fee represents a financial hardship for applicants. Please contact our office (firstname.lastname@example.org) for details.
7. On the application, if you indicate that you are NOT a native speaker of English, you will need a minimum iBT SPEAKING score of 22, AND all other parts scores at least 20, or IELTS SPEAKING score of 8. Scores should be no older than 2 years.
GRE scores are not required for your application. However, you may submit your official GRE scores if you feel it will help the admissions committee better understand your academic capabilities. Electing not to submit scores will not impact your chance of admission. All supporting documentation should be uploaded to the online application. If you have any questions, please contact:
Graduate Academic Advisor
KU Department of Molecular Biosciences
1200 Sunnyside Avenue, Haworth Hall #2034
Lawrence, KS 66045-7534